Hexen

Any other game that those listed
Opulent
Site Admin

Re: Hexen

#11 Post by Opulent » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 pm

Good job. Although, I haven't watched your demos yet.

I knew about -demoextend, but I didn't need it for 160.
I suppose I could just manually edit the keymappings in the cfg files.

I would love to have a private copy of your jhexen version that shows the monsters killed count.
My main computer is WindowsXP(and will always be until I die, which sounds noble, but I'm going to die in 18 years or so).
I made a similar modification to chocolate-hexen in 2014, but it was terribly clunky.

I recorded a trial run of kaiser_28 with chocolate-hexen-230, but I couldn't remember where to go next.... 50 minutes in. Figures, I forget the next step... because it is by far the hardest part of the hub. The jump to the Cave key. Ugh.
That part is probably 10 minutes from the end of the hub. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Now you have max demos too. Cool.
Maybe you and I should record all of the Hexen wads that are released. They are much harder to learn than most DOOM maps because of the scripting and classes, but there aren't very many....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Login or Register to view attachments.
FPS Demo Master
http://www.opulentdemos.us

PVS

#12 Post by PVS » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:13 pm

I'm not sure, what I understood correctly what exactly you are mean and saying about death, but it's better to leave this conversation, right?

Versions 160se/230se have different logic, yes, and I specifically pointed this in txt's. Demo format in 160 was in original Raven state, I added / fixed the necessary things without the need for additional commands, so it was faster for me, however - there's no way to disable it, for this reason 160 is similar to Hexen-Plus. Also, 160 have 2 video drivers: DirectX and GDI (setup->display->advanced), I'm use GDI, for my PC it much faster. In 230 everything was ready in original, I do not see the point of changing something, and 230 have normally working network, music devices and other stuff.

What did not work in your version in 2014, the engine was out of sync? If only sync, maybe I can help, the project now has one big desync, which they themselves added, but it is corrected very quickly. Maybe your version can playback Demo-1,2 in Caldera.wad without desync? It would be interesting.

jHexen - of course, why not, it would be good if you looked and said your opinion, but I'm pretty sure that you will not like it. 3D renderers without darkness and contrast which is present in the software renderer, many other bad things, with him still a lot of work, but now it keeps the synchronization with the original game, this is the main target for me. But any counters I do not allow for recording, it's dishonest against the original game and people who recording maxes, I hope you agree with me? Give me a few days, I need to prepare it a little. I can use your email what did you give me a year ago? The archive will be somewhat larger than the attachments here.

Record all of the Hexen wads - I can make a company, it would be interesting, only in truth - I do not know many good maps. Can you have a list of such good vanilla Hexen wads? We can try to record, in our free time. But I think, that you understand that these demos will be interested only to two people, I even know who exactly :) But for me this is not a problem, as always.

I watched your training demo, interesting. Kaiser made an excellent vanilla hub, especially liked Map3, where the grass and vines. But you move very fast and I do not have time to look at the maps :) Yes, next you need jump to the Cave key, you looked there several times, but apparently you are afraid to fall and break, he-he. I know this because I continued your record, on se versions you can make a savegame while demoplayback using the quicksave menu. I sometimes use this, for example: make savegame at the end of the demo, load it and see - what I forgot there and what I missed, sometimes useful. Also, you can continue recording from this save slot, which I did here - I finished the hub that you started. The truth, turned out at me it is very bad, for me it almost first attempt demo, I do not know - how you are orient in these Kaiser maps, I hardly found my way! In any case, you can see my sequel only for laughter, here 40 minutes, not 10, with many deaths, Kaiser caught me with his earthquakes, heh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Login or Register to view attachments.
Heretic / HeXen

Opulent
Site Admin

#13 Post by Opulent » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:14 pm

I don't have time right now... but I'm looking forward to these.
yeah, opulent cox.net works fine.
I don't need source or anything, just the executable. I promise not to share it.

I can't believe you continued my crappy demo. I'm all ready to record another one, but I don't have time.
talk to you soon!
The stupid corpsecounter acs script in the wad. I don't understand and I haven't tested it yet. Which corpses is it counting and is it counting ones you destroy or ones you don't destroy?
I haven't figured it out yet. It opens the very first teleporter(next to Timon's axe) in Map02.
It really isn't important as you don't need the secret level at all, but I am curious...
FPS Demo Master

PVS

#14 Post by PVS » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:35 pm

You mean Kaiser script 99? I do not see where this script is run, so it's not clear how the variable 'corpseCounter' is incremented. I do not know, maybe it does not work now and there is no way to get to the secret map. Secret map06 itself has not been completed, in my opinion, somehow everything is really not very serious there.
-----------
I found how Kaiser hid the secret map: need to find 14 seated corpses on the maps and on each of them press 'use'.
Kaiser28corpse.jpg
On map1 - 7 such corpses, on map2 - 2, on map3 - 2, on map5 - 3, total 14. Then the entrance to the secret map will open, yes, thoroughly he hid it, but there is certainly a treasure for the player, heh
Heretic / HeXen

Opulent
Site Admin

#15 Post by Opulent » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Oh man, thanks for figuring that out. I wasn't sure if you had to leave them alone(14 still alive) or kill them all or what. Now I know.

Ahh, I hesitate to post these... because I'm afraid you might watch them. some failed demo attempts.
thanks to your savegame, I got to test that jump. It is just like I thought, you just RUN through it with one jump. I'll have to be careful at the invulnerability secret next time....

watched your extended demo. good job learning the rest of the maps. I know them pretty well now. I still have to pause to figure out where to go next sometimes...
anyway, hopefully a completed demo in the next few days. I don't have time for more than a couple tries in a day...
thanks for all the feedback, you made my week!
FPS Demo Master

PVS

#16 Post by PVS » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:35 pm

Of course I playback your last demos, thanks for sharing! As I always said - I like to watch demos more than recording them, especially - to watch how someone else plays, look at new maps for me, etc. But I watch them as a movie: I start playback, go from the TV to 3 meters and sit down on the couch, drink coffee, etc., I have such an opportunity in the house, it's completely different when watching demos sitting near PC :)

I know that this your records are training, you can be wrong somewhere, etc., it's not scary, I add these demos to the Misc category, but they are still interesting, I've looked them up now and someday I'll look them over again. Your goal is to record this Kaiser hub on Skill 5? I see by your attempt - it's quite difficult. Also, I think, it is better to take the Cave key as soon as possible, when you appear on the map2, if the jump will not be successfult and you fall, though you do not have to lose a lot of time to start from the beginning. In any case - I hope that you will succeed and record full Kaiser hub demo, but of course - only if you yourself are interested, maybe fundamentally, etc.

A few hours ago, I with my friends - recorded a cooperative for 3 players, a full second hub. This is not speed, not a master class record, only an ordinary game of friends, a live game and demo, we made many mistakes and sometimes chatted, but for me it will always be very interesting, especially since this is the first Hexen demo for 3 players in vanilla format, that I have now. I have not had time to check it, I hope that this demo will playback without desync.
Heretic / HeXen

Opulent
Site Admin

#17 Post by Opulent » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:41 pm

That multiplayer sounds great!

I recorded kaiser_28 with deaths. I might re-record with the Cleric if I feel like it and find some time. Thanks to your port, I don't have to start over again.

And thanks for watching these. Watching demos and seeing the maps play-out is why I love DOOM demos in the first place. That is why speedrunning is shit. Or close to it anyway.
Thanks again, you are one cool dude.
Time to go do some household chores!
FPS Demo Master

PVS

#18 Post by PVS » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:51 pm

Hi Opulent! How are you? I look - the forum is very quiet...
Found one new Hexen 1.1 demo inside pwad, map and demo1 by Eric Vachon, quite interesting, almost 6 minutes from the past century, august 1996. You can take this to your collection, if you are still interested:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... o/mysticsw
Heretic / HeXen

Opulent
Site Admin

#19 Post by Opulent » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:16 pm

PVS wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:51 pm
Hi Opulent! How are you? I look - the forum is very quiet...
Found one new Hexen 1.1 demo inside pwad, map and demo1 by Eric Vachon, quite interesting, almost 6 minutes from the past century, august 1996. You can take this to your collection, if you are still interested:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... o/mysticsw
Yes, very quiet. That''s okay. Glad you are around though!
Sorry, I didn't reply sooner, I had this computer booted to Linux downloading QW demos....

Not a bad demo... especially for it's age. Fancy stuff there at the end. :)
I wrote a script that checks all pwad zip files for a .lmp file in the zip(to find all non-internal demos). At the time, I considered searching through every .wad file for non-standard demo1 lumps.... but I figured I'd never get around to watching them anyway.
Thanks for sharing, I wouldn't have found that.
FPS Demo Master